Saturday, August 1, 2009

The Americans with Disabilities Act and Service Dogs

So how did a pretty little girl like me get to be a Service Dog? Well, I have already taken 3 complete classes and I graduated and got my Canine Good Citizen which is like a High School Diploma for Dogs.

My mom usually takes me to her psychologists appointments with my red vest on and I actually act as an anti depressant for her? She doesn't have to take those pills because of me and because of her terminal cancer why can't she bring her child with her everywhere she goes? She is on lots of medication to keep her alive and I just happen to make it that much easier for her. I help prevent her from massive anxiety attacks which she doesn't suffer too much from but can easily become stressed enough to get one if she gets upset; it can easily progress into that. I know exactly what to do in order to calm her down and I'm so very patient with her just like any loving dog would be.

I know that even policeman are not authorized to even view her paper work, they can ask for the paperwork on me, but they are not to view the paperwork because of privacy laws that protect patients medical records. It's great to be my mom's service dog and the "Americans with Disabilities Act" prevents any type of discrimination for my mom. In fact this very document will help you with your service dog if you are ever stopped; these are the laws and businesses are required to follow those laws. She is allowed to take me anywhere even grocery stores but she won't do that; she feel guilty. I love going inside grocery stores but I understand because everything is so yummy and I want to smell everything. It is illegal for anyone to question her bringing me inside with her; I am a service dog and it is therefore illegal for her to be denied access with me. That's what I love about America. No one can shove their power against my poor mom.

1 comment:

Hatasura said...

Nice site there... Thank you